Propane has many advantages over other fuels for your home or business. But like any fuel source, you need to understand how to use it safely.
Here are some propane safety tips for your home or business:
- Although propane is odorless, manufacturers add a chemical to make it smell like rotten eggs so you can detect a leak. If there is a rotten egg smell by your tank and around your piping system, contact DeSousa Oil and Service Corp. immediately. NO FLAMES, NO SPARKS! Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operation lights, appliances, telephones or cells phones. Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or a fire.
- Leave the area immediately!! Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect the gas to be leaking.
- Shut off the gas at the tank!! Turn off the main gas supply valve on your gas propane tank!
- Learn where your propane service lines are so you don’t damage them when you’re landscaping or making renovations.
- Never tamper with supply lines, regulators or storage tank fittings.
- Never use an outdoor propane source (gas range or grill) to heat your home.
**We at DeSousa Oil and Service Corp. do not install propane appliances, however if you think a propane appliance has been damaged, do not try to fix it yourself – contact the company that installed the appliance for you!! Also, do not skip annual maintenance on you propane appliances, this will help spot issues before they become emergencies. **
**It is highly recommended that all households install carbon monoxide monitors, which are available at most local hardware stores. **